The Xero integration enables you to easily synchronize your customers, parts and invoices between Telstra Trades Assist and Xero to give you a single point of data entry and help streamline management of core data used in your business.
This article shows you how Telstra Trades Assist connects to Xero and specifics on how data transfers between the systems.
Connecting your Xero Account to Telstra Trades Assist
- Click from the Side Menu
- Enter your Xero login/email and password
- Click to login
- Click to allow Telstra Trades Assist to connect to your Xero account
Tip: As indicated by the button, this will only allow a connection for up to 30 minutes.
- Telstra Trades Assist will connect to the Xero servers and you will be presented with the sync settings
Tip: You can sync when you want as the sync is manual. Typically you would only need to sync data between the systems if you have added/removed a customer or part, or when processing invoices. The only limit to syncing is that you must wait for one sync to complete before you can sync a second time. Typically a sync will complete within 5 minutes.
Setting up the Sync Settings and Default Values
Telstra Trades Assist has a few options to allow you to customise the sync between the two systems. This gives you better control over which system is the master and can stop certain data from syncing entirely if required. The following steps will explain what the sync settings do and how to adjust them.
Tip: By default, once you log into Xero through Telstra Trades Assist, you are presented with a long screen of options. Clicking will minimize the corresponding section. You can also click anywhere on the Title bar, and it will minimize that section.
Setting up sync settings
You will see that both Customers and Materials (Parts) have a Master System switch.
You can select either Trades Assist or Xero for each. This will determine which system overwrites data on the other system when you complete a sync. If you have all of your customers and parts already in Xero, you may want to set Xero up as the Master. However, if you decide that it’s easier to edit customers and parts into Telstra Trades Assist, you may change that to Trades Assist as the master later.
- Click the drop down under Customers to choose which program will be the Master for customers
- Click drop down and choose if Telstra Trades Assist will share new customer data with Xero, and vice versa
- Click the drop down under Materials to choose which program will be the Master for materials
- Click drop down and choose if Telstra Trades Assist will share new Materials data with Xero, and vice versa
- Click drop down under invoices heading and choose if Telstra Trades Assist will sync invoices to Xero
Confirm you have selected that at least one of the systems shares to the other and your Master System is your preferred system.
Telstra Trades Assist will not import Invoices from Xero, so this option is one direction only, however you can still select to turn sharing off or on for Invoices.
Invoices sync smoothly between Telstra Trades Assist and Xero. Xero generates its own invoice numbers, so the Trades Assist Invoice Number will become a Reference number on the Xero invoice. It will be listed as TTA-INVXXXX, where XXXX is the same number found in Trades Assist. For example, INV0007 will become TTA-INV0007 on the Xero invoice.
Setting up default values
Once you set the Default Values, you will most likely not touch this section again. Since this is mostly a static (un-changing) area, we will start with that and then move onto the Sync Settings.
- Click drop down under the Tracked Items heading to choose if you will be tracking item inventory from Telstra Trades Assist to Xero
- Click drop down under the Inventory Asset Account heading to choose which Inventory account in Xero will be associated in Telstra Trades Assist
Tip: You do not have to choose anything for the Inventory Asset Account if you have Tracked Items set to OFF
- Click drop down under the Inventory Purchase Account to choose which purchase account in Xero will be associated with Telstra Trades Assist
- Click drop down under the Inventory Purchase COGS Account heading to choose which Cost of Goods Sold account in Xero will be associated with Telstra Trades Assist
- Click drop down under the Inventory Sales Account heading to choose which sales account in Xero will be associated with sales in Telstra Trades Assist
- Click drop down under the Purchase Tax Type heading to choose which tax code will be used for parts purchases when syncing from Telstra Trades Assist to Xero
- Click drop down under the Invoice Payment Account heading to choose which payment account in Xero will be associated with invoice payments in Telstra Trades Assist
- Click drop down under the Xero Invoice Status heading to choose what status invoices will be assigned when synced from Telstra Trades Assist to Xero
Tip: Learn how to sync with Xero here